• Upload session selections to web service
  • Allow for better printing
  • Enhance personal session list
  • Build in ability to "remember" selections
  • Multi-Day capable
  • Make Tracks and Rooms seperate items
Developer
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:10 AM
I have a few questions/comments that I'll just throw out there.

I assume the web service would be in the SessionScheduler_Web website for now. Does the web service read/write to an xml file, or would it use a database? If a database, what kind and do we know the structure of the table?

I kind of think it would be okay to have the session data included with the xap, because it's not that much to download.

How are you planning on handling printing? In the CodeMash scheduler, I had a "print" button that redirected the browser to a plain HTML page with a print button. I'm not sure what else we would do because there isn't support for printing in Silverlight.

The "remembering" sessions is simple - just read/write to a file in isolated storage.

Do you think it would be worth while to be able to "send" your selection to another person? This could be as simple as generating a URL that would have querystring values indicating the name of the person sending their scheduler, and which sessions they're attending. This was a popular feature in the CodeMash scheduler, and one that I think got a lot of people excited about using it.

I can work on any of these things, just let me know what you'd like me to focus on so we don't duplicate efforts.
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2008 at 10:38 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM
  • For now the web service can just read/write to an XML file, since the web part is meant as more of a demostrator on how to ue it that shoud be fine at the moment, maybe in the future we prvovide a version hooking to a SQL Express db.
  • I agree on the session source data, at least for the short-term, XML file in the xap works. Long-term it would be nice to have it seperate though.
  • My thoughts on printing are to make the "My Sessions" list center (or left align) and enlarge in response to the JavaScript onBeforePrint event and to a have a print button in the SL app that does much the same.
  • I totally agree on isolated storage. If we ever build a more full-featured server presence we can make the selections portable as well, but that's for later.
  • I really do like the "send" feature, sounds like a fairly easy "win".

As far as what to work on, I'm in the process of splitting Rooms and Tracks and adding real data. Next I plan to clean up "my list", including the printing feature. If you could work on the writing of data to a service or the sending selections I think that would be a big hit.

I need to have a stable v1 ready sometime this weekend for the CDoDN site as well so keep that in mind. I should have time tonght (4/24) to work on it.
Developer
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:48 AM
I got the user's schedule saving/loading from isolated storage. The save process should include a call to a new SessonService, but I had issues getting it to work, and it's late.

Also, the animations seem to be really broken at the moment. I wonder if it's due to an incomplete list of sessions causing some oddities in the grid?